Warning: Defective STC Optics ND Clip Damaged My Camera

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bluesguy_1 Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Warning: Defective STC Optics ND Clip Damaged My Camera

I've always taken extremely good care of my camera gear. e.g. I go to great lengths to ensure my gear is always protected, handled gently, and never gets dirty. All my cameras and lenses are scratch free and look brand new. I'm probably on the far side of OCD when it comes to handling them, but I've gone 30+ without having something get damaged or broken, so for me it's been worth it. Maybe I was finally due for a catastrophe?

I purchased some STC Optics ND Clip filters a while back but never used them because the idea of clipping something into my camera so close to the sensor seemed awfully risky. But I finally decided to try it. Watched some videos, studied it carefully, and inserted the clip into my reliable E-M1 Mark II with extreme care and caution. Sure enough it clipped in, and it worked like an ND fliter should.

I then went to remove the clip, took it out equally as carefully, and looked at my sensor with horror.

Not only had the foam pad from the STC clip fallen off, it had apparently fallen glue side down and is now completely bonded to the sensor. ARRRGGGGHHHH. How unbelievably aggravating that the pad couldn't stick to the clip properly, but is permanently attached itself to the sensor!?!  To make things worse, in trying to remove the glued pad, I think I scuffed the plastic sensor covering (although that will probably need to be replaced anyway).

So it looks like I have no choice but to send my camera, which was still like brand new despite a couple years of use, back to Olympus for presumably a costly repair.

Not sure if I should even try to get the STC Optics ND16 filter repaired/replaced, since I would never trust it again. That filter kit (with 4 filters) cost about $300, so there's some money down the tubes.

I guess the lesson is, if you're apprehensive about attaching something so close to your sensor, you have good reason to be.

G

bluesguy_1's gear list:bluesguy_1's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +21 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow