Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,940
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Thanks for the nice comment! The photo was take at f/6.3. I am pretty sure the Hassy's lens is sharpest when opened up a little bit more, like the F/4-5.6 range. With an ND filter, I would've been able to shoot the same exposure with the aperture opened up to F4 or 5.6 and perhaps gotten a bit more sharpness overall.

I also have a Sony RX10iv with basically the same 1" sensor as the Hassy. It is well known with the RX10iv that shooting above f/8 can get you into diffraction issues because of the sensor's tiny size -- again a lower aperture delivers a sharper photo with the RX-10iv; the Sony's beautiful Zeiss 24-600mm F/2.4-4 lens is sharpest at f/4.

Of course I can also do some sharpening in post, but I'd rather shoot a camera (drone mounted or in my hand ) rather than sit in a digital darkroom.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned the ND filter.

-Chris

Why not use shorter shutter speed and open the lens to f4 then?? Were you already on the shortest shutter speed the camera can do?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow