Telephoto Lens Option

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,899
Re: Telephoto Lens Option

The 75-300 II is a perfect companion for both the 12-60 and EM10. It is lightweight, affordable,  and very sharp up to about 220mm. Beyond that good results can be obtained with good light and excellent technique. Current sales price of $399 is about as good as it gets. i have owned that lens, sold it when I got the 40-150 Pro and sold that after getting the 12-100 Pro

There is another way to go that is less expensive, smaller and lighter, but less reach. That is the Olympus 40-150r, often called the ‘plastic fantastic’. Currently on sale for only $99, it punches well above its price point and would also compliment the 12-60 as a two lens set in a small bag. I own one myself when it went on sale, too good a deal to pass up.

Later this year Olympus is set to offer a 100-400 lens with OIS. The extra reach would make it an even better wildlife lens. Personally, I would recommend getting the 40-150r for now (you can always  try and exchange for the 75-300), and wait to see how the 100-400 looks. It is also easy to make an argument for getting both the 40-150 and 75-300 if you will be needing 200mm+ now. But, again, the 40-150 is sized and priced to ideally that it can be with you always in a small bag

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow