Finding Polaris?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138
Angle Finder is Preventing You Finding Polaris?

Landscaper, not sure if you are still monitoring this so I'll also PM you. Was doing tests last night & tried using an angle finder & adapter as you show below. The angle finder effectively cuts the FOV of my Polar scope in half. The problem that causes is this. The polar scope has an 8º AOV so with the angle finder, that's cut to 4-5º. Other than luck, none of the rough alignment methods will regularly get Polaris within this restricted FOV. That's why you can't find it in the scope+finder.

landscaper1 wrote:

I've owned an iOptron SkyTracker Pro for some time and would like to be able to use it.

When I last made the effort (some time ago) I gave up because I found it all but impossible to locate Polaris through the optical sight in the SkyTracker. To begin with, because of light and air pollution I rarely can see Polaris even though I know the approximate area in the sky where it's located.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get around this obstacle? Or am I doomed to forego using a tracker anywhere other than exceptionally clear night skies?

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow