Fuji vs. Nikon 'Supermoon' shot

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Blue Swan Media
Blue Swan Media Regular Member • Posts: 371
Fuji vs. Nikon 'Supermoon' shot

Disappointed with this X-H1 shot of last night's moon compared to D750 a few years ago. Both cropped to 1000 pixels. Three things I can think of causing lower performance than Nikon (other than smaller sensor of course), would appreciate insight from people who shoot moons regularly:

1) I shot Fuji handheld, Nikon was on a tripod. Even with IBIS + OIS, handholding at 250 is maybe not ideal. But I think this is the least likely. I took a lot of shots and this was the best.

2) 200mm f/2 maybe isn't the best performer at infinity, most of what I do with is is such closer (sports and theatre) so the problem may be there.

3) Fuji was taken out an open window, Nikon was taken outside. Heat escaping may have created heat shimmer???

The Nikon is a fair bit better, but this was on a tripod, outside, and of course the sensor is larger, all of which outweigh the fact that the Fuji 200/2 lens costs 5 times as much as Nikon 200-500. A good example of technique > equipment.

X-H1 + 200 f/2 +1.4TC (420mm FF equivalent), f/5, ISO 200 and SS of 250. Handheld from open window.

D750 + Nikon 200-500 at 500mm, f/8, ISO100, 1/320. Shot from a tripod while outside.

Blue Swan Media's gear list:Blue Swan Media's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-H1 +20 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow