Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079
Re: Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

jjz2 wrote:

JNR wrote:

I have no qualms with the 16-55 in terms of IQ. Modern "bag of primes" that was the well-earned designation of the Pentax 35-105 f/3.5 a few decades ago - except the 16-55 is much better.

And, like so many of us who adopted Fuji for very specific reasons, I will never own one. I'm done with large, heavy lenses (except for the rare need for a very long lens)... so what would be the best option for pro quality kit zoom in the era of IBIS?

If you go back about four decades, the most under-rated ahead of its time zoom kit lens that no one bought (except me - actually twice after the first one was dropped) was the Tokina 24-40 f/2.8. Small, sharp, and versatile (FF film)... UWA to normal - decent wide open. Pentax kind of tried to match it with the APSc 20-40 Limited, but that was not the right range - and the lens wasn't as good as the price was high.

So, Fuji should step out a bit on the design plank and go with a 16-30 (roughly) at f/2.8 - or f/3.2 if size is still an issue. Don't try to make a pro quality zoom into a portrait lens - just give us great IQ from 24mm equivalent to normal perspective... Really, that would be a great achievement. With the image quality of the XC15-30 (mechanics and aperture limits notwithstanding) - this doesn't strike me as a daunting challenge. I'd be first in line.

Not a bad idea. the 35-70 2.8 was very popular in Nikonland for a long time... Everybody just dealt with the reduced focal range, but that saved size and still gave you great images.

You have the right idea. Way back, I shot a cheap, small Tokina 35-70 f/4 until it literally fell apart... It was a fine little lens because it was OK even wide open. And that was long before the 24-40 existed.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow