XEON for video/image editing?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
Re: thanks..still looking...maybe this one
  1. CAcreeks wrote:

foot wrote:

thanks..still looking...maybe this one (32 gig), 8 cores/16threads)

$1,129.00 - checking to see ordering availablility..if bestbuy had it in stock I'd buy it today (I think)

'XPC MSI Bravo 15 Gamer Notebook (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, Radeon RX5500M 4GB, 15.6" 120Hz Full HD, Windows 10) Gaming Laptop Computer PC'

https://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Radeon-RX5500M-Windows-Computer/dp/B087ZSQGG6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ram+upgrade+MSI+Bravo+15+A4DDR-022&qid=1588798267&sr=8-3

it can be upgraded/upgraded to 64 gig

Holy smokes, especially if not well cooled! The Ryzen 7 4800H tests at 19613 Passmark. It'd be interesting to know if it can run Topaz AI in real time.

I would buy the equivalent 17" model for its numeric keypad, with 1TB NVMe SSD, $1489.

https://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Extreme-RX5500M-Windows-Computer/dp/B087ZTMS9G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=msi%2Bxpc%2B17&qid=1588880110&sr=8-1&th=1

It seems to have extra space for a disk drive, so I would add 2TB HDD. And probably sell off some memory because Linux doesn't need that much unless you're running virtual machines. GIMP uses hardly any memory and Darktable not that much either. But as SygnusNN used to say, "that's just me."

I don't know about passmark but it's matching Intel chips running overclocked at double the power consumption or more. So in terms of cooling you'll need some but nothing too crazy. There are finally real generational leaps I'm computing again!

The back and forth between Intel and AMD I'm the coming years should bring about some great performance and efficiency gains.

Personally I'm excited for the not too distant future when that kinda power is available in something the size of a Surface Pro.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
brn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow