Budget macro solution options

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Budget macro solution options

armin304 wrote:

Why?

My Vivitar 2.8/55 is a 1:1 macro lens that did cost me 55€ (with a 28-105 for free included). Add an adapter for 10-20€ and there is your inexpensive macro solution. The lens was available in many different mounts, mine is Nikon.

If you want even more magnification, add some extension rings or a bellows to the macro lens. My bellows was 5€ when I bought it many years ago and I used it at first with the lenses from my enlarger, which you may get today for 5€ too.

I agree with the idea of getting a vintage macro lens. Extension tubes are nice just because they're so cheap and let you play around a bit, but having a real macro lens is so much better. They're actually optically designed with close focusing in mind and you'll have a much larger focusing range. You'll also have real manual focus, which is much better than the modern focus-by-wire. $50-100 will easily get you a vintage 50mm or 100mm macro on eBay. The cheapest I've gotten was a Canon FD 100mm for $60. Basically any of them will work on mirrorless if you have the right adaptor. Just make sure to get a prime and not a zoom. Lots of vintage zooms are labeled "macro" but they're not real 1:1 macros, or even 1:2 (more like 1:4). There are very few true macro zooms and they're more expensive so they're out of the price range you're looking to spend.

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow