Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfPS Regular Member • Posts: 453
Re: Calling all Nikon Z and Alphasevenarefour fans....

Greg7579 wrote:

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Michael Berg wrote:

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for your comments. And for the review on your site - those are very nice shots for sure.

There seems to be a lot of attention given to the 16-55/2.8 for its sharpness, but I was not so unsatisfied with the kit 18-55 that this alone makes me want to upgrade. But there are many other qualities about the lens that are more appealing. I think the contrast and coating is much better, and something less tangible but affects the colors and the light balance of the shot in a way which is difficult to explain. Some of that is due to post processing of course, but I've noticed in many times across different private web sites and review sites alike.

Anyway - thanks again. More to consider.

Thank you Michael. You are right. There is so much more than just sharpness. It is much sharper than the 18-55 but there are many other qualities that are maybe not so easy to measure like color, contrast and behaviour in difficult light.

One of my favourites Fuji lenses is the 23/1.4. Is it the sharpest lens? No but Bokeh, color, contrast is excellent. To some this is important to others it is not.

I like to think in numbers. So the perfect lens gets 10 to worst gets 1. The 16-55 is a 9, the 18-55 in my eyes is a 5 at best.

I agree. Sometimes a lens is so good and marries up so well with a specific sensor that you get some kind of special "look" to images that can be described by fans as micro-contrast, 3D-Pop, dimensionality, depth, magic, brilliant and special - all terms that can get you in trouble but help describe what we think we see. There is just something about that kind of great glass.

I think the Mighty 16 is that was with Fuji X, along with the 56, 90, 200 and I will go so far as to say the great zoom Brick 16-55. I think the 23, 45, 32-64 and 110 are that way with Fuji GFX. And I think the F1.7 Summilux 28mm fixed lens on the Leica Q2 is another great example of that kind of special combination. We argue about sensors and sensor size a lot but it is the glass that often shines and the combination of certain pairs that cause excitement and even joy.

Nikon has a lens like that too. People talk about it all the time on the Medium Format Board because MF shooters often have high-res top-end FF gear too (and many MF shooters also instead use Fuji X instead of high-res FF as their other system. The Z is very popular and there is this one great lens that everyone talks about. Any Nikon lurkers here want to say what it is?

Same with Sony. There is one new Sony top-end and very expensive lens that Sony guys say turn the alphasevenarefour into a magic time machine of extraordinary capability. Any of you many Sony guys who read this Board cruising for opportunities care to tell us peons what lens I'm talking about? 😎 This is your opportunity to shine.

Nikon's Z 24-70 f2.8 is an excellent lens and my personal benchmark for standard zooms. However, so far, that and its little f4 sister have been the only lenses for the Z system that've truly been impressive. Fuji's line-up is, on the whole, a lot more fun and rewarding to explore.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow