Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,756
Re: Calling all Nikon Z and Alphasevenarefour fans....

Greg7579 wrote:

I agree. Sometimes a lens is so good and marries up so well with a specific sensor that you get some kind of special "look" to images that can be described by fans as micro-contrast, 3D-Pop, dimensionality, depth, magic, brilliant and special - all terms that can get you in trouble but help describe what we think we see. There is just something about that kind of great glass.

I think the Mighty 16 is that was with Fuji X, along with the 56, 90, 200 and I will go so far as to say the great zoom Brick 16-55. I think the 23, 45, 32-64 and 110 are that way with Fuji GFX. And I think the F1.7 Summilux 28mm fixed lens on the Leica Q2 is another great example of that kind of special combination. We argue about sensors and sensor size a lot but it is the glass that often shines and the combination of certain pairs that cause excitement and even joy.

Nikon has a lens like that too. People talk about it all the time on the Medium Format Board because MF shooters often have high-res top-end FF gear too (and many MF shooters also instead use Fuji X instead of high-res FF as their other system. The Z is very popular and there is this one great lens that everyone talks about. Any Nikon lurkers here want to say what it is?

Same with Sony. There is one new Sony top-end and very expensive lens that Sony guys say turn the alphasevenarefour into a magic time machine of extraordinary capability. Any of you many Sony guys who read this Board cruising for opportunities care to tell us peons what lens I'm talking about? 😎 This is your opportunity to shine.

Maybe a fun exercise, Greg, but given the fact that this is, after all, the Fuji Forum, I'm sort of missing the point. I think it's fair to acknowledge that all manufacturers have what some people might call "magic" lenses, and even providing an example or two is just fine. But, I really would prefer that we keep things more focused on Fuji's lineup and gear. An occasional comparison between a Fuji lens and its competitors is fine, but it's my humble opinion that a broader "whose lenses are magic" exercise here seems to be wandering well OT.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow