Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Berg
OP Michael Berg Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Thoughts on the 18-55 2.8-4 as a kit lens. And does FW 1.02 fix the focus wobble issue?

Well.

The X-T4 is not bleeding edge in any other sense than being the "newest" in the X-T family. It shares a lot with  the X-T3, including the sensor. In a lot of ways, this is an upgraded X-T3 camera.

I'm buying it because of the IBIS, because I happen to own a number of vintage M42 lenses that aren't sharp or bleeding edge in any way, just a lot of fun to use. And fully manual and not stabilized in any way

A good all purpose lens is supposed to be able to survive extended periods in a camera bag, though airport scanners, being banged around in airline overhead compartments, being dropped or dinged etc, and while I'm sure all these lenses are able to do that, my mental health would suffer if any of that happened to the 16-55 because of its price. No doubt it is the best of those lenses regarding image quality but .. well, the bulk. The heft.  And are my eyes really good enough to tell the difference after all?

Regarding kit lenses, the 18-55 2.8-4 only just barely qualifies as a kit lens in the traditional sense. It is much, much better than any kit lens from other vendors including Nikon or Canon. It is a really well built lens with excellent optical qualities, that is very sharp and contrasty across the range. I really do love that lens, also because it's relatively cheap and light.

The 16-80 does give me more range but I'm not sure about the quality. There is a focus wobble issue which has a lot of owners reconsidering their purchase. Especially for video. Some say that a recent firmware 1.02 update has fixed it but I haven't been able to find much information about that.

Perhaps someone here knows?

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow