Considering buying a d800 (2020)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Re: Considering buying a d800 (2020)

muljao wrote:

Paul P K wrote:

Castlefest 2016 D800 Nikon 1.4 58mm AFS f/1.4 1/1000s iso220

Skipped the D810 despite it being a more refined camera (less noisy shutter as well as a number of other small cosmetic improvements), as the improvements in IQ and high ISO were only incremental.

But biggest problem for me was how much the, in particular in low light situations, AF had suffered/deteriorated, as eg reported here on DP https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/8

Yes, I literally just read that. It would be a shame to have a good FX Nikon and it suffer af in lower light, exactly a reason it should be beneficial

I wonder why the D810 had that problem? Was not aware of it. Found this part of the article interesting and can confirm with my experience with the D800:

"The D810 simply couldn't keep up in this company. It even falls well behind its predecessor, the D800/E, which we found to focus down to -3 to -4 EV in our lab (it was under-rated). "

I bought my D800 also in 2012 and with a little over 100,000 clicks it works like new. Auto focus with either of my f/2.8s, 24-70 and 70-200 (Nikons) has always been near instantaneous and accurate even in very low light in which I shoot often at small town high school track and cross country meets. I also do a lot of indoor event work in poor lighting. Along with exceptional image quality the ability to focus in these situations is one reason I haven't upgraded,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow