Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marclw
marclw Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
Re: Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

I have an XH-1 and a X-PRO2. My 16-55 lives on the X-H1. I just picked up an almost new 18-55. and that now has found a home on my x-pro2. I'm older (72) and rely a lot on IBIS. I have done so since my Canon IS days.

The 16-55 wins IQ wise. The 18-55 is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the the 16-55. Both are damn good in the center, but the 16-55 is much better across the frame. I also have the 23mm, 35mm and 50mm f.2 primes. When I need the best IQ, I rely on the 35 and 50. The 23 is somewhat disappointing IQ wise, particularly at f/2 and 2/8.

So, I'd get the "brick." If you're going to spend your money, get the better lens. I learned that when I got my first DSLR, a Canon XT. I bought a 17-85mm f-4-5.6 IS USM for it and almost instantly was not happy with it. I learned. I sold it and then bought an EF 24-105 F/4L IS USM and an EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. Eventually, I sold the 10-22 and got the EF 17-40 f/4L USM.

So, I would suggest biting the bullet. Lenses are more important than soon to be obsolete bodies. You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps,

Marc

marclw's gear list:marclw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica CL Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow