Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,746
Re: The Brick

GPAtlanta wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

GPAtlanta wrote:

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

... the only downside being size/weight compared to the 18-55.

So many people call it “The Brick” but it surprised me by being lighter than I anticipated! Makes up for any “bulk” with it’s stunning optics.

Its 100grams lighter than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX, which is excellent by the way.

I think pairing the XT4 with a 16-55 is a no brainer unless you need something light. In that case, there are many options, from several primes to the XF 18-55 or even a XC 16-50.

The 16-55 image quality is marginal better than the 18-55. Sure if you're shooting professionally, but no way for the average prosumer.. Too heavy and not worth it.

Sorry, but I’ve owned and pretty extensively used both lenses, and I would characterize the IQ differences (particularly on the long end) as significantly greater than marginal. That’s not a ding on the 18-55, mind you, and I enjoyed using that lens for a good long time after acquiring my X-T1 years ago. It’s very versatile and great deal, particularly when purchased as a kit lens. However, the difference in IQ across the lens’ range coupled with the constant f/2.8 aperture strongly differentiate the two IMHO. Also, you’re own characterization of 16-55 as “too heavy” is highly subjective. I use it with the X-H1 and the pair balance beautifully. With a very small body, that may be more of an issue.

So, to each his own, however my own view of the same two lenses strongly differs from yours.

Twice the weight and 3x the price. Is it 3x as good? That's hard to justify.. It might be 1.5x as good. A little better in the corners, sure..

It’s all a matter of perceived value.  For you, the price difference doesn’t justify the improvement in IQ.  For many others, certainly myself included, it does.  You think it’s overpriced, I found it easily to be of sufficient value to justify the additional investment.  Scan the forum for a while and you’ll see a whole lot of other photographers who feel the IQ difference justifies the higher price. So, for you, the solution is simple and obvious: go with the 18-55.  For many others, the combination of better build quality, constant aperture, and superior IQ across the range easily justifies the additional cost.  So, modify your last post to say “That’s hard to justify for me,” and we’d be fully in agreement.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow