Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,770
Re: The Brick

GPAtlanta wrote:

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

... the only downside being size/weight compared to the 18-55.

So many people call it “The Brick” but it surprised me by being lighter than I anticipated! Makes up for any “bulk” with it’s stunning optics.

Its 100grams lighter than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX, which is excellent by the way.

I think pairing the XT4 with a 16-55 is a no brainer unless you need something light. In that case, there are many options, from several primes to the XF 18-55 or even a XC 16-50.

The 16-55 image quality is marginal better than the 18-55. Sure if you're shooting professionally, but no way for the average prosumer.. Too heavy and not worth it.

Sorry, but I’ve owned and pretty extensively used both lenses, and I would characterize the IQ differences (particularly on the long end) as significantly greater than marginal.  That’s not a ding on the 18-55, mind you, and I enjoyed using that lens for a good long time after acquiring my X-T1 years ago.  It’s very versatile and great deal, particularly when purchased as a kit lens.  However, the difference in IQ across the lens’ range coupled with the constant f/2.8 aperture strongly differentiate the two IMHO.  Also, you’re own characterization of 16-55 as “too heavy” is highly subjective.  I use it with the X-H1 and the pair balance beautifully.  With a very small body, that may be more of an issue.

So, to each his own, however my own view of the same two lenses strongly differs from yours.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow