Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,225
Re: The trend towards mirrorless

Maxxum Fan wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

People keep saying that mirrorless is cheaper to make, but I haven't seen any evidence. I think that's just an unfounded assumption.

Pretty simple thinking, less parts (significantly so v a DSLR), and faster assembly. There are no doubts that they are cheaper to manufacture. It's pretty much impossible they're not. Even looking at Sony they save money reusing the same (IMO not that good and boring) body design

You may not have doubts, but I do.  Unless we get hard numbers from someone in a position to know, I don't see how you can draw conclusions.

Look at hard disks. Even though they're a complex mechanical device with high precision, they're still less expensive than a SSD of lower capacity.

PCs have one advantage over cameras - as the technology progresses, the chips become smaller and thus cheaper. A camera sensor is a major part of the expense, and those never become smaller. That's not to say cameras won't become cheaper, they just won't do it on the same time scale as other electronic products.

I don't think sensors cost that much these days, volume is higher and it's no longer considered a bit expense where it might have been 10 years ago

There's no doubt sensor costs have come down, or we wouldn't have sub-$2k FF cameras.  But what took 10 years might have only taken 2 years if we were looking at processors for instance.

Only way to ensure they wipe themselves out is to keep jacking prices up, has not worked and never will. Camera gear isn't in high demand, even more so with Covid

Raising prices due to lower demand just drives the demand even lower. That's a bad feedback loop.

That was their plan, and it didn't work out so well. Now things are different with Covid - overnight demand which wasn't that high has tumbled heavily. I suspect it won't recover either. There will be corporate casualties

I agree there will probably be corporate casualties, but I'm not at all anxious to see it.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow