Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,916
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

FDecker wrote:

Scott, I really hope that you are not going to order a camera from Sigma to get the IR filter out of it and send it back afterwards hoping that they don‘t notice. Or if they notice, to lie on them saying it was never installed. That would be wrong on many levels. I am a bit shocked that you openly share ideas like this.

Frankly, I think that idea would be the best solution, for someone caught out by a company that fails to service their customers reasonably. I'm not suggesting I plan to do it, but I'm offering it as a possible solution, which the company should try to avoid people using. The best way for the company to avoid this type of thing happening to them would be to make the parts readily available. Maybe if people start using my idea, because they need a part that SHOULD be available, but is not, the company will get off their butts and fix the situation.

It is really easy to get the IR filter out and in again.

I did it with my SD14, and it wasn't that easy. Sure, I was able to do it, and I think I did it twice, but I have never done it with my two newer Sigma cameras, for fear of breaking that thing. Maybe I'm being too timid or something, but ever since I realized there was a serious risk of damaging that filter, I have been afraid of cleaning my sensors. I don't want to ship my camera anywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at a camera shop would tell me they can't clean my sensor for me.

You must be careful and follow the description in the manual. I did it on my SD1 and the sd Quattro H several times. No problems so far.

Thanks for that reassurance.

The other option was already mentioned as well. Send the camera to Sigma and you get it back as clean as you can think of.

That would be nice, but I don't see that as a viable option. Maybe I'll change my mind, after thinking about it for a while.

The last option. Instead of checking the status online, why don‘t you give them a call? With a bit of luck, they can provide a spare IR filter.

True. Maybe it's just a "website thing" (which happens all the time).

But try to be nice and don‘t start blaming them for not having the filters available online.

Why? Why not blame them? It seems to me those things should all be readily available. If they stock a handfull MORE than they need, what's the big loss for them?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PT
PT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow