Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,783
Re: The trend towards mirrorless

Luis Fonseca wrote:

Maxxum Fan wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote: But I get a little tired of the assumption that DSLRs are on the endangered species list.

The trend is pretty clear.

This is the trend

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/dw-202003_e.pdf

Mirrorless won't save them

This is the last years trend but we tend to forget that camera had a boom in sales with digital cameras.

Many people that didn't have a camera or had a simple film P&S started buying digital cameras. Then came smartphone that replaced that need for digital cameras for most of the consumers.

Today the p&s camera is dead because smartphones are good enough and everyone has one on their pocket. Some niche fixed (non interchangable) lens cameras wil survive, I guess the ones with huge zooms or large sensors (1" or bigger) or waterproof may survive.

But there will always be a place for ILC.

Today ILC cameres are all excelent. Almost noone really needs a better camera than the one they already have so sales will keep going down until they reach a plateau. They will go on for a long time, but will smaller sales figures and not all will be able to survive.

I know it is clearly there in blue and red but please note the different scales for cameras vs smartphones (a factor of 10).

Will there be a place for ILCs... yes for a while yet. You are right, they are very capable.

But when Ricoh/Pentax is 3.1% of the DSLR market (2019 in Japan), which is a shrinking portion of the ILC market, which is overall a shrinking market... of course Ricoh/Pentax says there will be a resurgence of DSLRs...

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tex
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow