Who actually got into fuji for saving weight?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thxbb12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: Who actually got into fuji for saving weight?

Greg7579 wrote:

This is a good thread and there have been many exactly like it over the years on this Fuji Board. The "I switched to Fuji X because of ergo/size/weight and now they are making bigger lenses and bodies," is a common topic on the Fuji Board.

I left Canon FF DSLRs and great L glass many years ago for Fuji X. It started with the XT-1, but it took all the way till the XH-1 for me to finally part with the closet full of Canon DSLR gear. So glad I did.

I was initially attracted to the size/weight and retro look of Fuji X but then after shooting it a while it became more about the ergo and glass.

What really sets Fuji apart is not only the "sweet spot" APSC-size sensor, which allows more compact bodies to be built around it, but the great quality of the lenses. Yes, some of it creeps up to close to FF size/weight, but not really. Lens size is still an advantage with Fuji XF and the quality is better than the FF brands in my opinion. Look at the F2 lenses and the size and weight of the world class 16-55 and 50-140 when compared to their FF counterparts, which are the fast 24-70 and 70-200 most popular zooms in the world.

So, Fuji has the sweet spot - APSC. If you start craving more pure res, go to the high end - GFX.

I do find it ironic that I abandoned Canon DSLRs and went to Fuji X initially for size/weight, only to gravitate back towards the bigger sensors and GFX. So now I'm carrying a camera that is the size of a Nikon D850 with grip. But I still have the sweet spot (Fuji X0, and for a reason.

I mostly agree, but if you consider equivalent DOF ability, Fuji is not at an advantage anymore.

You can't really compare a f2.8 FF lens with a f2.8 APS-C lens. The final picture will look different.

Either you compare a f2.8 FF lens with a f2 APS-C lens, or a f4 FF zoom with a f2.8 APS-C lens. In your example, Fuji's 16-55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 zooms must be compared to f4 FF equivalents. Then, you will see that APS-C has no substantial advantage...

-- hide signature --
 thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow