Macbook Air better buy than new low end Macbook?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,706
Re: Macbook Air better buy than new low end Macbook?

1stAde wrote:

I've been waiting for the new update, knowing they would fix the keyboard likely get a processor update. Of course they have done that for the higher 2 models, but have kept lower end with 8th Gen intel, and slower RAM.

From looking at the Tech Specs on the Apple site, it would appear that the low-end 13" MacBook Pros have new keyboards.  Not a whole lot else that's new, though.

When I compare the i5 Macbook air for 1299 (I'm UK, so will ignore currency), but the Macbook air has slighly slower clock speed, but 10th Gen processor, faster RAM, and double Storage (512Gb SSD rather than 256), as well as being lighter weight.

Traditionally, the Airs have used lower-power ("maximum TDP") CPUs than the rMBPs; if you push the Air and rMBP CPUs hard, the Air CPUs might throttle first.

Then again, most people don't push their CPUs that hard, and the 10th generation ones might be more efficient (less waste heat for the same amount of work).

I think the screens are comparable, but the Air doesn't have the Touch bar, that I think I can live without. Same number of Thunderbolt ports.

The Air has a sRGB screen with 400 nits brightness.  The 13" rMBP has a DCI-P3 screen with 500 nits brightness, and stereo speakers "with high dynamic range".

Whichever one you pick, I would suggest future-proofing it by custom-ordering it with 16 GB of RAM.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow