SR1 high res macro

Started May 6, 2019 | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
OP Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,489
Re: SR1 high res macro

iso rivolta wrote:

Hi Keith,

So, if the 187 MP HR mode is diffraction limited at very open apertures, possibly at F4 or even F2.8, this would mean a couple of things:

i) some of the lenses cannot be used at their optimal aperture, so if you want resolution, more aberrations could be present if the aperture for the best resolution is more open than the aperture for least aberrations (e.g. chromatic);

True, but this is not always so clear cut in practice.

'Diffraction limited' is a phrase I always take with a pinch of salt until I've actually tested a lens with a particular subject. I know the physics and optics, but have always been an experimentalist not a theoretician

Increasing sensor resolution is a tide that floats all boats, so It is always a tradeoff between factors that impinge on the overall quality of the results.

ii) if the object is 3D and you want resolution plus deeper DOF, a lot of stacking is necessary to be combined with pixel shifting; this would require more total time and make the result more exposed to ambient vibration blur.

Sure, and the lack of flash firing in multishot limits it even more.

Multishot for myself worked most effectively with a TS-E lens for architecture/outdoors

I was impressed by the way the more forgiving mode limited blur from movement whilst still extracting more detail from the truly static bits.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-the-panasonic-s1r/

This would limit the method to very particular jobs.

Yes, however I do technical/commercial stuff in a studio, so flowers/insects/fungi/outdoors don't get a look in for my macro work - YMMV!

BTW, are you allowed to say what was the 100mm lens you tested? It looks that it has extreme lateral chromatic aberrations. Thank you.

It is indeed the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - at the time I'd been asked to test it. This post was just before it was formally announced IIRC

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/laowa-100mm-f2-8_2x-macro-review/

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow