Extreme Teal&Orange mode (Warning: colors not for the faint of heart!)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP G Radford Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Re: Shield your eyes!!

tagscuderia wrote:

G Radford wrote:

The most authentic looking Aerochrome-like colors I've had, are with my FS-converted Sony a7R, using the Nick Spiker Aerochrome profile. You end up with subtle red/magenta tones, along with Aerochrome-like color switches (ie. red car tail-ights switch to yellow/green). https://www.nickspiker.com/blog/search-digital-kodak-aerochrome/

Nick's examples show what I've recently come to appreciate regards Aerochrome... it's a low contrast, low saturation film stock! Something that I subconsciously steer clear of; my processing just swings the other way.

I did look at producing my own RAW converter for Infracolour but despite my best efforts, whatever logic I applied for WB just didn't work

I like some of the results I've had with the NS profile, but it's a slow process. I've seen some impressive digital Aerochrome results using software written with Matlab, but that's currently beyond my skills.

If you don't mind the lower res, the DP1, DP1x or DP1s, are easily converted to FS.

The Ford GT was actually red, in this SOOC shot with a FS-DP1x.

I think the color is better on SD1M, but LV on the SDQ is essential for bw IR.

I handhold 720nm IR shots with the SD1M, I use an oversized filter so it's easy to cover the front of the lens and snap away:

Nice work! The SD1M is great build, but I just can't fathom the lack of LV on any modern digital. I originally tried a 850nm on the sdQH, but decided to stick with 720nm to gain some exposure for handheld shots. So far, I'm impressed with sdQH monochrome mode, and looking forward to more bw IR once everything is in bloom.

The Batman cometh?

I use CWB on a gray target, for all color IR shots, with no filter and with the IR Chrome filter.

Cool, thanks − I do likewise.

On my FS-converted Sony a7R, I gave up on the IR Chrome, because grass and foliage always ended up looking orange. On the sdQH, everything is red, with sharply contrasting blue. It's unique, so I'll see how far it goes.

I've been playing with colour correcting my B+W 099 shots sans Channel Swap. But not having true white and black points in a shot is frustrating me, I need to change to a mathematical approach I think (... it worked so well the last time!)

I've done a lot of the "Goldie" and every other CIR variation in the past, but my current interest is Aerochrome-style, with foveon/Quattro sensors. The halos in high contrast areas, seem to be a common issue with Channel Mixer swaps.

In a fit of pique I did stumble across an adjustment that mimicked 590nm Infracolour, using a Channel Swap though hence the halos around the top of the tree line. P.S. the lighthouse wasn't meant to be so central but I had to crop out a massive flare caused by the filter; old school, no coatings...

As per usual though there's not much subtlety, and far too contrasty

Cheers.

Check to see if your vintage, uncoated lens is UV capable. Some legacy lenses are quite valuable in the UV community. <400 UV photography only works in monochrome mode on the foveon sensor. For color UV, you need a Bayer-sensor.

-Gary

G Radford's gear list:G Radford's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Sigma sd Quattro H Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow