Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Luis Fonseca Regular Member • Posts: 412
Re: Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

brett nz wrote:

Hi Luis,

Is the smaller flange and the larger lens mount diameter mirrorless design allows a definitive improvement? I suppose if Nikon and Canon are saying yes then it is.

It's not what anyone says. To make a wide lens with a longer flange distance you need a retrofocus design instead of a simpler design like Tessar or Sonnar.
Just compare the Canon RF 35mm with the two Pentax 35mm. With the same overall size (and jus 100g more) Canon (someone not really famous for small lenses) made a mixture of the two Pentax lenses. The Canon is a FF almost macro fast(er) lens and with AF motor and optical stabilization.

But is this a significant advantage? Most of the time it isn't.

I understand it allows for wider apertures but I cant understand why Pentax would not have gone that direction (at least now) if it were as definitive as it seems.

If I was going to take a bet it would be on lack of resourses. Pentax/Ricoh market share is small so it would take a long time to have a return on investment.

Luis Fonseca's gear list:Luis Fonseca's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Pentax K-1 Canon EOS RP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow