M6 Focus Peaking

Started Apr 22, 2020 | Discussions thread
Murrango Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: M6 Focus Peaking

ipsMSD wrote:

Interesting and confusing. It does work if I switch lens to MF.

But what is confusing is none of my other lenses require being in MF for peaking to work. On all of my other lenses (EF-M, EF-S) and camera can be in AF and peaking still works. Only the 'L' series macro must be in MF for peaking to work.

Thanks

Some Canon lenses (like your EF macro lens) have mechanical manual focus. The camera doesn't know that you are focusing manually unless you set the lens switch to MF. Actually, you should never turn the focus ring unless the switch is set to MF first, to prevent any possible damage to the mechanism.

All EF-M, EF STM and EF-S STM lenses are "focus by wire". Manual focusing is done electronically - you turn the focus ring, but it's actually the motor that's moving the lens elements. Therefore, the camera is aware that you are focusing manually, and turns on peaking automatically. It's safe to turn the focus ring without setting the lens to MF.

Murrango's gear list:Murrango's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow