90D vs Eos R -Birds in Flight

Started May 2, 2020 | Discussions thread
noellenchris
noellenchris Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: 90D vs Eos R -Birds in Flight

Neuropsychology wrote:

Hi, just curious if anyone has had a chance to compare these two? I wonder which would be better for birds in flight?

The biggest advantage will be the viewfinder.  When you put the camera up to your eye, the 90D will be like a spotting scope and long lenses seem to respond faster to the DSLR vs mirrorless.  I have the 80D and the R with a Tamron 150-600 G2.  The Tamron is ok for BIF, but truly it's not the fastest focus on either camera.  I use the 80D 90% of the time for birds etc.  When the lighting is low and or the subject is not fast moving and I don't need the 1.4x extra reach of the crop sensor I use the R.  It is also very hard even though the EVF is fast, trying to lock focus quickly as a bird flies by is challenging and nothing like the viewfinder of a DSLR.  I would decide what you will shoot more of and what lens your pairing.  If you have a Canon lens that will perform just as fast on both, it may be a tougher decision.  My personal opinion with what I shoot would be the 90D.  I would hold out for the R6 or R5 that will be released this year if you really want a mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Chris

noellenchris's gear list:noellenchris's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow