birding with canon glass on sony bodies and TC ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aaron@Utah Senior Member • Posts: 1,595
birding with canon glass on sony bodies and TC ?

Hello Canon shooters

A sony shooter here  but still use a lot of canon lenses and have some questions on a few things to get your opinions and feedback

I have been getting into more birding as of late and have been using some of my canon lenses to do so

I currently have the 70-200mm F4 version 1 No IS but very sharp and small easy to carry around  can except tele converters but not nearly the reach for optimal birding  native or even with 1.4x TC

70-300mm f:4-5.6 IS USM L   nice lens I like the way it zooms over the push pull of the 100-400  version 1 a bit lighter and smaller than the 100-400 but not quite as sharp (but very close at least my copy) as the 100-400   doesn't except any TC's

100-400mm f:4.5-5.6 IS USM L version 1  nice all around long zoom for wildlife and birding. not a fan of the push pull design but I live with it.  sharpest of the three canon zooms I have at this time  but the 70-200 is pretty darn close.  it will except TC's but only the 1.4 is practical at leas for me with as f8-f11 would be tough to work with with any dim light shooting i.e. dusk and dawn

I aslo have the canon 1.4x II  TC  for use with the 70-200 and 100-400

so question for those that have the 100-400mm  V1

with the lens I have would you trade the 100-400  lens to the 400mm 5.6 prime which is what I am contemplating

also for those the use the 1.4 TC's  how much better is the version III over the II  is it worth the upgrade?

I use all of these lenses mostly on a sony a6500 and sometimes on a A7III  both of which have IBIS so that would not be an issue with the 400mm 5.6 prime

I am getting older and packing the big heavy lenses is not my thing as much as it used to be  and that is one of the main reasons I am considering the swap of the 100-400 to the 400 prime

I know going native is alway best with any system but since sony doesn't make a 400mm 5.6 prime yet  and I can't afford the 200-600 right now either  the 400mm canon prime is looking very attractive

so whats your thoughts on what may be my best options with canon glass for birding on  somewhat of a budget (1200 -1400) range.   Im open to all suggestions and opinions

-- hide signature --

Mac OS X: Because making UNIX user friendly was easier than fixing Windows.

Aaron@Utah's gear list:Aaron@Utah's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7S Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +11 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow