Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,659
Re: Survival of the K-mount in the mirrorless world.

Murdoko wrote:

I would love for Pentax to compete against mirrorless cameras.

Why? (if not with their DSLR line)

There are talks about having a hybrid viewfinder.

All we have is a patent. It would help video, but I'm concerned about ruining the optical viewfinder for that...

What about an adjustable sensor-flange distance? Imagine a Pentax mirrorless camera with a PK mount but with a flange distance similar to Sony and Fuji but the sensor can be pulled back when SLR lenses are adapted?

Too complex. We're discussing this subject from time to time; the classic new-mount camera with an adapter makes much more sense. This way you'd get a non-compromised mirrorless with the ability to use existing SLR lenses, and no cost for those using only native ones.

But the adjustable flange distance... you'd get a mirrorless camera which is as bulky or even bulkier than a SLR, using a mount which has a too small diameter and quirks introduced decades ago.

The body will of course look a bit different but Pentax always has. I'd love for the K-mount to survive and this is the concept I cant think of.

The concept won't help Pentax K to survive. A short flange distance mount is not a K-mount... and K-mount makes little sense if it's not a SLR.

What do you think of this idea? Any other ideas out there?

Well, there will be the K-new (the APS-C flagship they're working on), and I'd like a "K-1 new" very much. Then, there are the new K-mount lenses. The problem is the slow execution, not the direction.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tex
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow