Finding Polaris?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 6,863
Re: Finding Polaris?

Landscaper,

I see you've wandered from our usual forum, but you also caught me.

I use the Celestron Sky Scout and you can pick one up on bay for cheap

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xskyscout.TRS0&_nkw=celestron+skyscout&_sacat=0

I don't use mine often but you input what you want to see and point it up to the sky and when you find what you're looking for you can center it. Problem is do any of the devices allow a camera to be attached to the top or bottom? Otherwise you're just guessing how to find it with your camera. I suppose you could make a thin steel plate ( 1/8" or so thick) and attach it to your tripod with the finder and camera attached and when you find what you're looking for, the camera should be in roughly the correct position. I would envision the plate being secured by your tripod screw and drilling holes in the plate so you can attach the finder and your camera. Maybe draw lines on the plate so the finder and your camera or in alignment.

I also live in a light polluted area in metro Atlanta. I've lived in my house for almost 50 years and the development has exploded around me. It's rare that I can see a dark sky but when I can it's generally to the south. As much as I hate to say it, you've got to get out of the city to make those occasional shots.

When i was in business we had these guys from western NC that worked with us and they lived out in the middle of nowhere. A few months ago I drove up there for a new moon night (after visiting Harrahs Cherokee for one night) and it was so dark I couldn't see 6" in front of me. Great for milky way and star trails and I plan to go back.

EDIT: I looks like the company stopped supporting the s'ware but you can manually input the date and the location. Guess that tells you how often I use mine.

Here's an ebay comment link.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2254351148?iid=163683232278#UserReviews

EDIT EDIT: Look at "Sky Guide"--- a program for your ipod or iphone and Android I would guess. It works great and you can "raise and rotate it" based on the time and your location or from a location you're interested in.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow