M42 Orion Nebula with 400mm Lens

Started Feb 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
hha1 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: M42 Orion Nebula with 400mm Lens

W5JCK wrote:

The image was created from stacking multiple images, all of which were taken using a tracking mount. A tracking mount moves to compensate for the movements of the stars and DSO's through the sky. This allows us to take long exposure photos without having to worry about star trails. Basically, a tracking mount makes the camera follow the stars across the sky. That is, when everything goes well and the tracking mount is properly aligned. This image was from a year ago, so I don't remember all the specifics of the shoot, but I did have issues with my tracking mount because the lens I was using is a big Canon 400mm f/5.6L telephoto that pushes the limits of my small tracking mount. So I can only get a few good tracked images from this lens using this mount. The tracking mount was not designed for using this long of a FL, so I was lucky to get enough good photos from which to create this composite image.

W5JCK:

I looked at your trail image.  There is a worm error, a pole axis misalignment error and a startup or flexing error. Looks like wind was not a problem. The spec of the Star adventurer is 28" p-p and 10 minute period, and this is what your trails look like.  Your plate scale with the Sony A7 is about 2 arcsec per pixel. Stacking all images in Sequator will be OK. Since you used 30 sec subs, the individual shots should be as sharp as your lens and focus allow. I get this all the time (Z6 + Nikkor 180 mm f/2.8 on a Skytracker (30" p-p worm error and 9.3 minute worm period).  Stack the 90 shots and share your results. Based on the 8 "good" ones. it should be impressive.

Hope your health improves.

KE6FE

hha

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow