"rumour" 70-300 4-5.6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
HatWearingFool
OP HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Re: "rumour" 70-300 4-5.6

Mebyon K wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Mebyon K wrote:

I would buy a 70-300 (105-450) f4.0-5.6 if it had the image quality of my 55-200, I wouldn't buy it if were as weak at the long end as the 16-80.

I honestly believe that Fuji produced the 16-80 to quell the clamour for such a lens, particularly from a well known Fuji rumour site, as their optical designers knew full well that a zoom ratio of 5:1 and high optical quality are mutually exclusive.

If it’s mutually exclusive how did other brands manage it?

To be fair the Fuji is cheaper. I got worried as soon as I saw the price. My old Zeiss 16-80 cost considerably more, but was a great lens. I was hoping that the Fuji would manage to at least match if not surpass a lens released in 2007, but sadly not.

But the Zeiss was 998$ in 2007 which equals $1242 in today’s money while the Fuji is $800. I really wish Fuji had gone for quality over cheapness. And the Nikon is $1066... that’s why so many of us were so worried when we saw the price of the Fuji, it didn’t bode well for its optical quality.

When Optical Limits and LensTip tested the two lenses you mention their summaries highlighted the same problems, although with different strengths and weaknesses, as those of the Fujifilm 16-80. As I stated in my original post, the fact is that a 5x zoom ratio and high optical quality are mutually exclusive. If you doubt that ask any high end optical design engineer.

Do this look like they are on the same level?

Fuji 16-80

"You can immediately notice high consistency for all focal length range and a very good performance at maximum relative aperture, which is slightly worse for the maximum results by f/5.6. These maximum results, reaching 43 lpmm, are worth the praise in themselves. The best primes reach 45-46 lpmm, and here we deal with a 5x zoom lens after all. "

The Zeiss was very consistent across the board.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow