G16 replaced my G15: some thoughts

Started Oct 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
0lf
0lf Senior Member • Posts: 1,239
Re: resurrecting old thread - image quality G15 vs G16

AllFlawed wrote:

Peter in Canberra wrote:

AllFlawed wrote:

Stabilisation is reported to be very poor in the RX100 early marks and presumably reasons existed to bring out 5 revised versions of the short zoom one. From what I have read many think the Mk III is the best one to start on. No menu touch screen either but good processing, sensor and optics though not reputed to be the friendliest machines to use by all accounts.

I recently ordered a Canon S120 for $100 as a compromise super-compact, I couldn't justify the price for the even discounted RX100 IV ...

Sad the 1/1.7" sensor was not developed or even the 2/3". Sony seem to have struggled with cost and reach with the 1". The Fuji X20 was always a camera I wish I had owned.

The Casios were the last of the 1/1.7" and I manged tpo get a ZR5100 new before they went also.

If I may allow myself to participate, as a lockdown distraction This is not in relation to Peter search of a camera, but only a remark about high end compact evolution, taking advantage of this old thread resurrection.

I am not sad for the 1/1.7" sensors. In fact, if the transition to 1" had not occured, I would have stayed with mirrorless. For the history, I started with an FZ18 as my first camera, then I upgraded to a nex5 in a search of better IQ (and knowing that longer FL were not essential to me). The 1" is so much better it obviously triggered the death of 1/1.7" in high end compact. As so, I do not share the statements made by the OP and the "unknown member" on the first messages :

Henry Richardson wrote:

Just to get an idea of how the new BSI 1/1.7" sensor does compared to the 1" sensor in the Sony RX100 and BSI 1" sensor in the Sony RX100III (probably about the same as the G7X) here are a couple of DxO measurement charts. As you can see, the differences are there, but aren't that large.

The OP selected the [screen] preset in DXO, which equalize DPI. As he compared a 12MP camera to a 20MP camera, it is like he looked to a A4 picture from the G16 and a A3 picture from the RX100... In practice, with same output size, the difference is much bigger : around 1 to 4/3 stop, as implied by the sensor sizes. This is also backed up by DPreview comparison tool.

(unknown member)

The bad corner lenses you are referring too of late are from the RX100/G7X/LX100- I'm talking about the G16/G15 lens, which is stellar. Making brighter lenses around smaller sensors is the trick, not brighter lenses around bigger sensors.

This is what we got on Imaging resource comparing the G16 to the G5x2 :

Basically, the "stellar" G16 lens is marginally better in the extreme corners, and worse than the G5x2 on >90% of the frame. G7x extreme corners are similar if not a bit better than G5x2.

And what about the lens reach ? The G5x2 is in fact the compact PowerShot G with the most reach since the G7 and G9 in 2006-2007 with their 210mm eq lens. Here is a comparison (in 4:3 ratio, so the G5x2 is 18MP with 26-130mm).

And I am not talking about aperture... All of that in a lighter package with an included EVF... So yes, I am glad of the direction compact camera development took with the 1" sensor. High end compact cameras are now much better than what they used to be.

That said, that does not make the old 1/1.7" cameras bad by any means. Just relatively less good. But in a day where even large sensored cameras are chalenged by smartphones, 1/1.7" standalone cameras have no chance.

And I do recognize the 1" compacts are expensive, approx 50% more expensive than 1/1.7" in the old time (not counting the crazy Sony price). But sometimes there are opportunities. I got my G7x2 new at the end of 2016 at 550€ including 20% VAT. I am not planning to upgrade unless I find a good deal on G5x2.

0lf's gear list:0lf's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X70 Canon G7 X II Apple iPhone 6s
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow