Should I sell my D850 for a Z7?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 563
Re: Should I sell my D850 for a Z7?

I have both of them and here's my take. IMHO, for sports or subjects on the move, or working in low light, like event photography with a flash, the D850 is still the way to go. On the other hand the IBIS on the Z7 is terrific and a game changer if youre working without a flash or working at night. The AF is not so terrific in my experience on the Z7 and often has issues locking AF. I took my Z7 last fall before the world blew up and spent almost three weeks in Sicily and Calabria photographing with only the Z7 and the 24-70 f4 and the 14-30 S zooms,  and fit all my gear into a ThinkTank sling bag, it was great and the way to go for traveling. I have a couple of S primes and they are also very sharp although not always so small compared to the F counterparts. I have not noted any serious difference to the files from the two cameras color wise.

I'm keeping both but understand the need/desire to get one system. Good luck with your choice, either way both are fine cameras.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow