Canon G1x Mark iii vs G5x mark ii - Landscapes/Travel

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
richsfusa Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Canon G1x Mark iii vs G5x mark ii - Landscapes/Travel

The A7iii + 35mm/1.8 may be a good choice, but it will be about twice as big and more than twice as heavy (33 oz vs 14 oz). Plus the zoom on the G1x iii, though limited, is useful. 24mm is very nice for landscape. 70mm is great for people, buildings, and landscape as well. The relatively large sensor allows for extensive processing.

I have found that the g1x iii, though no match for full frame, is no slouch, is good in a variety of situations, and produces excellent landscape photos. As has been said many times, the camera you have with you is the best one, and the G1x iii is so easy to bring along--anywhere. It is actually pocketable--in a coat. Also easy to drape over your neck and shoulder and not even notice it is there. It is small but powerful. Nothing else like it.

Variety/versatility:

15mm (24mm equiv); ISO 160; f4.5

45mm (70mm equiv); ISO 100; f5.6 (those buildings are about 8 miles away, so don't expect extreme detail)

45mm (70mm equiv); ISO 400; f 5.6 +plus built in flash for a touch of fill and eye highlight

45mm (70mm equiv); ISO 6400; f 5.6

20mm (32mm equiv); ISO 400; f8

30mm (48mm equiv); ISO 100; f13

When looking at Original Size 100% be sure your monitor is set to 100% also. On this site I often have my monitor zoomed in to 150% so that the print is larger.  That will make the images look more fuzzy/noisy than they actually are, a mistake I have often made here when evaluating images.

richsfusa's gear list:richsfusa's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5DS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow