The strange disconnect between Pentax and Ricoh

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
breth Regular Member • Posts: 414
The strange disconnect between Pentax and Ricoh

Thought I'd make a post here FWIW, sorry if this is irrelevant to the Pentax forum.

I just took apart my GR 1 to see what I could discover about the "stuck lens" problem, from which my camera suffered after only four years of rather limited use (less than 10,000 shots).

I came across a seal of very poor quality, which could very possibly be one of the explanations for this problem. If pieces of this seal disintegrate - as can be seen in the photo - then they can also get sucked inside the retracting lens, and cause the lens mechanism to jam at some point.

The point being, that with all the weather-sealing expertise at Pentax, why can't Ricoh improve the design of one of their most representative optical products - the GR. This line has been plagued by dust on sensor and the stuck lens issue throughout both the first and second models, and probably will be without change on the the present third one (even though they have added a dust-removal mechanism on the GR 3, which doesn't really address the basic issue of proper sealing).

The whole post on the Ricoh forum is here : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4482509

Any comments or insights appreciated.

dry and flaking seal, a foam-like material apparently glued on

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow