Tokina AT-X Macro 90 f2.5. Best Mount

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
isks Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Tokina AT-X Macro 90 f2.5. Best Mount

I have had the Tokina since the late 90s and while it's a good lens, it isn't really any better than modern lenses: the Batis lenses, for example, are clearly better in terms of contrast and flare, and comparable in sharpness. Modern coatings really do make a difference.

There's also quite a strong blue cast to the images it produces: when I used it on film cameras, I'd put a KR 1.5 filter in front of it to shift its color to be in line with the CY Zeiss lenses.

IMO the reviews should be read in the context of other lenses from that era: the Tokina compares favorably to some of the CY Zeiss lenses, for example.

I don't know how the Canon 100mm f2.8 performs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually close to the Tokina. An advantage of the Tokina might be that it's fully manual: no electronic adapter required.

In terms of lens mounts, I have the Tokina in the C/Y mount, and it's a convenient no-fuss mount because the aperture control just works. If I remember correctly, the Canon FD mount needs some mechanics to control the aperture. I believe the Nikon F mount would be easy to adapt as well. I'd just choose a mount in which I'd conceivably get more lenses.

EDIT: one more thing to consider is the sheer length of this lens with adapter and 1:1 extender: with the hood it's 21cm. That's probably comparable to the Sony 70-200 f/4.

edmundsphoto wrote:

I'm currently looking to replace my macro lens. I have several Sony bodies A7, A7II, and A7RII. I am currently using a Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro lens with a Metabones adapter for my macro work. It is an OK lens, but not really anything special. I see tons of favorable reviews over the years for the Tokina AT-X Macro 90 f2.5. Lots of threads on that lens. Lots of images. Lots of coverage on sharpness, flare, weight, all sorts of things. Nothing about the best mount style to buy and the best adapter to attach it to the Sony. All of the articles just skip over that step. I've not seen it listed in the Sony E mount, and the Canon looks like it is the older mount style so my Metabones from the old Canon macro would be of no use. Any recommendations for mount and adapter combos?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow