20mm 1.8 S vs. 20mm 1.8 G ED comparison

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 563
20mm 1.8 S vs. 20mm 1.8 G ED comparison

I have had a 20mm G that i've used with my D850 and during this crazy time of social isolation having too much free time and perhaps not enough economic sense just purchased a 20mm S. I am using it on a Z7 and did a very unscientific lens test of photographing a brick wall about 8 feet away with both using the same camera and of course the FTZ adapter. In my very much informal observation, first of all size wise, with the adapter on it, the two lenses on the camera are just about the same size. Image wise, at f 1.8 the S lens is notably sharper at the corners, at 2.8 closer but the S is still sharper at the corners and at 5.6 they are about the same.  Center sharpness for both at all f stops about the same-very good. I did these observations using jpgs out of the camera viewed on the computer at 100%.

On a more real world level, I spent some time in the woods yesterday shooting mostly at f8 and 11 and the results as you might expect for a $1,045 lens was great.

Individual milage however may vary, again, I'm not a pixel peeper and far from a professional reviewer. I have not seen many reviews that compare both the 20's head to head and thought this might be useful as a starting point of discussion.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow