I don't want video and I don't want to pay for it

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Andreas Stuebs Contributing Member • Posts: 927
Re: I don't want video and I don't want to pay for it

Tony Bologna wrote:

Here's a list of all the features that videographers want. Please tell me which ones do not benefit a still shooter. I'll give you a hint the answer is none.

1. Better dynamic range

Agreed

2. Higher resolution

Video resolution tends to be less than stills resolution. Video benefits from stills here, not the other way around

3. Faster, smoother autofocus

In my line of photography this is not so relevant,. However I do want phase detect AF as opposed to contrast AF so to use it with manual lenses

4. Effective image stabilization

OK

5. High resolution viewfinder with fast refresh rate

Sorry but I am an OV man, but that is a completely different discussion

6. Long battery life

Yes, but the power requirements for video completely dwarf the stills requirements. Hence video requirements are overkill for stills.

7. Better color reproduction

OK

8. Lower noise

OK - but here the driving part again is stills.

9. Easy to navigate menus

in a Canon? I am sure you are jesting

10. High frame rates

but not 120frames/second

I could to on and on but let's play Devil's advocate. The video record button might not be necessary? Most can be reassigned to something still oriented. A microphone input? I use that when shooting stills if I want to record a note like location or a portrait subjects information.

Btw I shoot 95% stills but benefit immensely from the demands video has in the design and performance of a camera.

You are missing out all the differenet video features which make the proposed R5 so special. I do not understand enough of video but from the article in dpreview there is a lot more to it. And all tis requires development and heer computational crunch.

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow