I don't want video and I don't want to pay for it

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andreas Stuebs Contributing Member • Posts: 927
I don't want video and I don't want to pay for it

The announcement of the video features of the soon to be released Canon R5 has shown that incorporating video functions into a digital camera is not an afterthought but a major serious design consideration. Designing, testing and getting ready for production of these features in a camera adds considerable upfront costs to a camera. The sheer computational power required uses energy and creates heat which needs to be dealt with. I have no inkling how much these features add to the final retail costs of the camera, but I would assume it is not negligible. This is where my gripes come in. I am not interested in video. I am a stills photographer mainly interested in landscape, architectural and a bit street photography. Adding video features to cameras adds cost, its a bit like having to buy “go faster stripes and fancy alloy wheels” on a car which I have to purchase, which I do not want and which I have to pay for.

But, if a camera maker offers only half baked video features the camera is downgrade in reviews – as if anybody would downgrade an Arri just because it is not a decent stills camera.

It’s horses for courses, as they say. If I want to upgrade my camera, I want decent stills capabilities at a decent price. I do not want to have to pay for video features I do not want or ever going to use. The R5 may be a super camera – nobody can tell at the moment as it hasn’t been release at the moment – but it definitely is not for me.

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +14 more
Canon EOS R5 (old)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow