Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Re: How to Scan Film Negatives SOOC? Part Deux

Trevor Sowers wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Kevin Omura wrote:

abhijitsarkar wrote:

I recently got into film photography, and purchased an Epson Perfection V550 scanner for digitizing the negatives. The idea was not to pay for anything other than film. However, a friend told me that, apparently, negatives can't be scanned immediately after shooting, but need to be treated with chemicals first. If this is true, the scanner is useless for me.
I understand that I can also use my camera to scan negatives, but the process seems to be more involved and error prone (leveling etc).

I'm interested in knowing what people are doing or suggest.

Hi are we talking about B&W or colour film?

If B&W then you will need some sort of setup for processing your film, there may be a local lab that could process your film for you but that kind of takes all the fun out of it.

If colour I would recommend just having your film processed by a lab.

Now if you are talking about shooting the film and then scanning the unprocessed film then nope your friend is correct! If you are asking about treating the processed film with chemicals then nope unless you are having to use film cleaner because you got a lot of dust and crud on the film.

You could possibly use your digital SLR to scan your negatives but if you already have the Epson why try and reinvent the wheel. But in answer to the question, yes technically you can use a DSLR but you will need some pretty specialized pieces in order to do it. A macro lens for starters, and a slide duplicator and even light source. Personally doing this just adds so much more complexity from colour temperature of your light source to possibly bellows, bellows lens, film duplicating attachment that it makes no sense to me to even consider this unless for some weird reason you had all this stuff floating around. And I confess I do but the odds of me digging all this stuff out to do it are about zero.

For me the real magic was in making the prints, film processing wasn't really anything special. If you have a camera club or photography gallery in your town they may have a darkroom. Might be worth joining. Here in Toronto we have Gallery 44 which has a members darkroom if I recall. It's been many years since I was a member though.....

Many years ago B/W darkrooms abound almost everywhere. They were common in high schools, community colleges and universities everywhere. Some allowed qualified users to sign up for darkroom time. I doubt if any of that exists anymore.

One of the local high schools near me is opening a darkroom again!

Turns out if you are in Toronto you are in luck! Gallery 44 does indeed have production and darkroom facilities but you have to become a member.

https://gallery44.org/production

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +64 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow