East Bay Hills Walk

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
East Bay Hills Walk

We had an absolutely amazing walk a couple of days ago in the East Bay hills (across the Bay from San Francisco). Sun was dappled, and the California Poppies were at their best. All shot with my new E-M1 III, with my old, trusty 12-40. As usual, I had a polarizer on, which did help with occasional almost-blue skies.

Yes, some of you will find these "aggressive" in PP. But, this is to our taste. The last shot, however, may actually be excessive. Well, unless you look at it as art rather than nature, which is the intent. In any case, happy to hear comments.

Incidentally, we met an older gentleman on the walk. He said he'd been walking this path for 30 years, and had barely ever seen any others on the way. At least 10 this day. So it is in COVID times. A LOT more people than usual on these usually very quiet trails. We have been taking a walk nearby also for about 30 years; always admired this trail from a distance, but this was our first time on it.

1. Best sense of the overall landscape: We do so love the hills. It's time for the green to disappear, but we've had some late-season rain. Yes, the gold on the hill left-center are flowers. We had seen this gold from afar a week before, and could not tell what it was.

2. Getting closer to poppy outcrops:

3. If you don't know California Poppies, here you are! The color is shocking:

4. Lurking along side the trail are a number of pretty, if less shockingly-colored flowers:

5. Another more subtle, but pretty thing:

6. Poppies through grass...

7. Polarizer at work, here:

8. Scattered, interesting rocks, here with a reservoir, unusually full, given the continuing relative draught conditions:

9. True to the feel, if not to the scientifically precise coloration:

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow