DSC-RX35 concept

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 12,220
Re: DSC-RX35 concept

terryreid wrote:

AdamT wrote:

The point is, it would be pocketable.

Yeah but they managed to put a fast and excellent performing 24-70 F1.8-2.8 in there already and it fits in a shirt pocket .. a prime isn`t going to gain much

This is a no brainer and they had this lens in the V and VIa but dropped it in the VII.

The short lens was in the M5A, the last model to use it. The longer lens replaced it from the M6 in 2018.

I tried a VII and shot along side my V and with the small sensor and twice the Iso the V won hands down.

They need to continue to improve the sensor with newer tech which they do and not only offer the faster lens but improve the lens, raise the price of the camera a couple hundred dollars if you can eak out some noticeable improvements with a better lens.

Not going to happen. That focal length range has been taken over by smartphones. To have any chance of sales, separate cameras need a much longer focal length that phone cameras don't yet cover.

I like the rumored 18-50 1.4 idea even more than this obvious move.

Not likely to happen, either. The smartphones also own this focal length range.

Sony will service this part of the market with the Experia 1 II, with three main cameras, each with fast primary lenses:

• 12 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 1/2.55", Dual Pixel PDAF
  • 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm, 1/1.7", Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
  • 12 MP, f/2.4, 70mm, 1/3.4", 1.0µm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom, OIS.

You may say that you prefer the ergonomics and features of separate cameras like the RX100, and so do I, but we are in a fast-disappearing minority.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow