Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,658
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

supersargas wrote:

nutshellml wrote:

So I never got around to building a previous PC based more on my part-time photo business.

Times have changed and now I'm about 50% photos (Lr and Ps) and 50% video editing (Premier and GoPro software). No gaming. My current PC can't handle my GoPro HEVC files so I'm looking to build something new.

Budget under $1500.

Samsung EVO 970 Plus or Pro 500GB, preferably 1TB.

I have 970 Evo Plus in my laptop (256 GB) and desktop (1 TB). I've had fast performance and no problems; I decided I didn't need the Pro version.

Other than than I'm open to suggestions. Was considering i5-9600 (k??), MSI A390-A Motherboard, 32GB RAM, type? and possibly GT1070 8GB video card

Other thoughts? Would love for someone to list an entire package out for me and here some constructive criticism or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

You have it cooked up already, you are missing a cooler (get a Noctua U12) and a PSU (if you can't salvage one. Get at least a 650W 80+ Bronze, from any brand).

Before I'd buy any PSU, I'd want to see a website's detailed technical review of that particular model. The PSU provides power to every other component in the PC, and the quality of that power can be important. I don't trust what the seller says on the box; I want to know how well it works in real life.

I would add studio headphones (look at the Audio-Technica M series). Factor in the Windows license cost, if you don't have one. Also, consider a high end monitor in the future. Eizo is repeatedly mentioned as a good brand.
Also, don't waste money on the case, use your previous case (check for CPU cooler clearance) or get a cheap, wide mid-tower.

I also think that a high-quality case is worth buying; it has a strong influence on the overall cooling of the PC components, noise levels, the ease of building into it, and convenience factors like accessibility of external USB ports, etc.

Just my opinion.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic S1 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow