Finding Polaris?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138
Compass Calibration & Polar Align app ?

Allen Moss wrote:

Just found this on my polar align pro app. It has a daytime feature that should get you pretty close. Then you can look through the scope and fine tune. I’m going to give it a try myself. Below is a YouTube video demonstrating the process. Seems like the main thing to avoid is having you iPhone contact the metal as that interferes with the GPS. I think the newer phones will be more accurate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=bq_gKvCmqBI

I’d love feedback on anyone who’s used this process!

FWIW, this app requires a specific form factor on the tracker - i.e. a face aligned w/ the drive axis. It will work well on the iOptron the OP is using but not so well on my Vixen Ploarie.  The app daytime alignment differed by 5º from my Vixen Polariemeter ( a compass & inclinometer that goes in a hot shoe).  When possible, I'll try the app & Polariemeter against the polar scope.

I recall that some phones/tablets have a routine to calibrate the compass by rotating them several time. Haven't looked for that but something to check. The accuracy & sensitivity of inclinometer gyros is in my experience variable. Edit: turns out the app has a compass calibration mode - use it.

But as mentioned in an earlier post I have used star mapping apps in the same way & it works fine for shorter FL.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow