Fake Canon serial number ?

Started Apr 18, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
boblite Regular Member • Posts: 242
Fake Canon serial number ?

On Ebay in January this year I bought a Canon 80D camera advertised as brand new but no warranty, from a vendor listing nearly 70,000 sales and 99.9% positive feedback. ,

Having purchased 7 other digital cameras over the past 10 years, with none of them failing, as I handle cameras carefully, I figured I did not need to buy a warranty.

About 9 weeks after purchase, the 80D developed a fatal defect, Namely, it could not read or format SD cards, cards that were formattable on my Canon 7D Mark II and my Nikon P1000. The outside of the 80D is immaculate and everything else is working properly.... all the menus are accessible and it can take pictures but it cannot copy them to the SD memory card.

On inspection, there was something very suspicious about the serial number. Covering the serial number was a piece of heavy duty tape, machine cut (see picture.)

Is this covering ever seen in Canon cameras that pass inspection in the factory and are genuinely brand new and never used, or could it be a sign of something fishy ? Could this be a camera composed of Canon parts gathered together from several junked cameras?

(I know that buying on the gray market has obvious risks, but Canon cameras have an excellent reputation, and failing after 9 weeks use and sold at a low price strikes me as extremely fishy, for a camera advertised as brand new and never used. According to Consumer Reports, DSLR cameras have a failure rate of about 4% after 36 months.)

boblite's gear list:boblite's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R IVA Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow