Finding Polaris?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138
Polar Alignment w/o Scope

landscaper1 wrote:

I've owned an iOptron SkyTracker Pro for some time and would like to be able to use it.

When I last made the effort (some time ago) I gave up because I found it all but impossible to locate Polaris through the optical sight in the SkyTracker. To begin with, because of light and air pollution I rarely can see Polaris even though I know the approximate area in the sky where it's located.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get around this obstacle? Or am I doomed to forego using a tracker anywhere other than exceptionally clear night skies?

Have 3 suggestions similar to others.  Sounds like you can find Polaris by eye but not in the finder.  The scope may have too little eye relief & too small an AOV so eye placement is critical to see anything.  Most scopes I've used are like that.

Option 1 will give plenty good alignment for 35mm & 30 sec.  Have used these in years past w/ a SkyTracker v1.0.

The compass has a declination adjustment & the big fold out lid gets the compass away from metal of the tracker.

Option 2: Place a pencil style laser pointer in the corner made by the main part of the tracker & the protrusion for the polar scope.  Been using a green pointer w/ a DIY adapter on a Nanotracker for some years.  Turn the laser on in short bursts ONLY especially in urban areas w/ LP.

Option 3: Place a cell phone w/ sky app showing polaris against the polar scope eye piece (w/o the angle finder attachment).  When polaris in the app is located in the center of the scope, your well enough aligned for 35mm.

Cheers

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow