Finding Polaris?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Re: Finding Polaris?

landscaper1 wrote:

I've owned an iOptron SkyTracker Pro for some time and would like to be able to use it.

When I last made the effort (some time ago) I gave up because I found it all but impossible to locate Polaris through the optical sight in the SkyTracker. To begin with, because of light and air pollution I rarely can see Polaris even though I know the approximate area in the sky where it's located.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get around this obstacle? Or am I doomed to forego using a tracker anywhere other than exceptionally clear night skies?

I'm not trying to be a (insert nasty name here). I'm just trying to use a little logic to identify where the problem is.

FIrst off, if you can physically see the big dipper, you can see polaris. Please note I did not say locate, I said see. This suggests to me either technique or hardware are the problem. You seem to understand the concept of how to find polaris but are still having difficulties locating it with the scope. Can you locate it without the scope on your own? If you can and you haven't spent much time with waist level or 90 degree finders, I might suggest you get rid of that 90 degree eyepiece and look straight through for a normal non-reversed image. I had a terrible time when I first started using MF waist level finders and the only thing to make one competent is more time using it. I know this may sound like a long shot but I like to think a little outside the box.

Edit: If you can't physically see polaris, depending on where you are, it is possible that it is so low in the sky that it can't get past the intensity of the airglow and/or light pollution

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow