GFX 50S Durability / Repair Cost

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 4,459
Re: Invest in the future, not the past

icor1031 wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

icor1031 wrote:

I wish I was shooting my own weddings, but I'm doing contract work and have to capture no less than 600 per event.

As far as I'm aware, EF adapts to R without issue. Is that not correct?

Depends what you mean by no issue.

The quality of image from an EF mount lens is limited by the mount design/optics - R mount lenses are significantly better, so there's the #1 issue right there sticking with EOS.

AF abilities of an adapted lens etc, can't comment.

GF series lenses are next gen compared to EF - by a considerable margin.

One of the key reasons to move to GFX - lenses outlast bodies.

Thanks for clarifying. On ebay, the EOS R is even cheaper than the 5d Mk IV, so this is no loss.

I hope it won't be too long until I can also get the GFX100.

Hi,

I wouldn't be categorical about Canon lenses. Canon has revamped most of it's lens line. Just as an example, the Canon 16-35/2.8LIII is hugely improved over the 16-35/2.8 LII. The 85/1.4L is a great lens. The 11-24/4L seems to be pretty fantastic.

Clearly, Canon focuses it's design efforts on the R-system, that has few lenses. For the R-system they have some interesting lenses, like the 85/1.2, 28-70/2.0 and super compact 70-200/2.8. There is little reason to develop new lenses for the EF mount as there are plenty great lenses.

But, all full frame EOS lenses can be used with an adapter and that adapter is essentially just an extension tube. It is different than converting from Canon to Sony.
Canon cameras used to have low DR at base ISO, due to old technology CMOS, but that has changed with the 5DIV, X1DII and 80D. They may still be a bit behind Sony, but not so far behind. (Sony makes the sensor for both Fujifilm and Nikon).
We will see a higher resolution sensor or two real soon now.

Naturally, the GFX system has some advantages, due to sensor size. In many cases the 4x3 aspect ratio works better than 3:2 aspect ratio on 24x36. But if your images tend to be more square than rectangular than you may need like 60MP to achieve the same detail on 24x36 mm as 50 MP on 33x44 mm.
The GFX 50 models don't have on sensor PDAF. Canon sensors have 'dual pixel auto focus', that can use any pixel for AF.

The Canon R5 is said to have in body image stabilisation, which the GFX 50 models don't have.

I would agree that the future will be mirrorless and also that the new R-mount lenses are not just great but also expensive.

You can switch over to the Canon R system gradually. Switching to Fujifilm is a larger step.

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow