Looking for an ICC profile for Epson Premium Presentation Matte on SC-P800

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,181
Re: Epson paper names

The problem at the heeart of all this was that some of the profiles were embedded in the driver and could not be loaded into the colour profile directory.

This almost cannot be correct. Do you mean that the media types differ in different national editions of the drivers? That I could maybe believe, although I tend to suspect that the majority the time the issue is merely knowing how to translate the name of the paper you bought into the name used in the country for which the driver is intended.

Not all of them. I have just given an example in a previous answer.

Presumably the previous answer to which you're referring is the reply (at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63848385) where you wrote:

For example, even now, I can, through the setup menu, access a profile for 'Epson Photoquality Inkjet'. There is no sign of that profile in my computer's list of profiles.

What you're accessing through the printer driver* is a media type, not an ICC profile. This can be confusing because for Epson's own papers and certain semi-generic designations,** the names of the media type and the ICC profile are the same or very similar. There are probably two places you can set this in the driver:

Epson printer driver "Main" tab, "Type" is for media types

and

Epson printer driver Advanced tab, media type options

But I'd bet $100 that in all cases, either (1) the ICC profile is where it's supposed to be, albeit maybe under a file name you don't recognize, or (2) there is in fact no ICC profile and no way to select one in the driver, even if the driver lets you select a media type of that name.

* You refer to "the setup menu", which I understand as the printer driver, which is what you access in the Windows version of Lightroom, in the Print module, with the Page Setup... button, and you access generally in Windows through Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners -> [the name of your printer] -> Manage -> Printing preferences.

** Properly speaking, an ICC printing profile pertains to a specific combination of printer + inks + driver settings (including but not limited to media type) + paper; what the profile does is characterize the behavior of that specific combination. I'm pretty sure Epson does not sell a paper it calls "Epson Photoquality Inkjet", even though it does have a media type and at least in some cases an actual ICC profile for such a generic paper. It seems to me to be a 'use this if you don't have something more specific' pair of media type and ICC profile.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow