Looking for an ICC profile for Epson Premium Presentation Matte on SC-P800

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,187
Re: Epson paper names

I've been through this situation before in the early days of the P800. I live in New Zealand and the locally supplied driver lacked a profile I required. I got on to the local Epson support and was referred to their Australian office. They pointed me to their local driver which turned out to have a significantly different set of profiles, fortunately including the one I wanted. Later on I installed the US driver and got yet another set of profiles....

The reason that I referred to Russian Roulette is that a different driver will give me a different collection of profiles, many of which I will be unable to save for use with a different driver.

At least with Windows machines, I suggest you extract and save separately every ICC profile you get that you think you may ever want. Then you can put it back where it gets used if / whenever needed. I do this. The files are small, and not that hard to find.* After the printer driver installer installs them, copy them and save the copies elsewhere, maybe making the files read-only. Maybe even keep a list in a spreadsheet or word processor file with the profile file names, the printer / paper / etc. to which it pertains, and the corresponding recommending media / driver settings. If a new driver install somehow removes an old profile, just copy it back to the folder where the OS looks for it. This has always worked fine for me.

The problem at the heeart of all this was that some of the profiles were embedded in the driver and could not be loaded into the colour profile directory.

This almost cannot be correct. Do you mean that the media types differ in different national editions of the drivers? That I could maybe believe, although I tend to suspect that the majority the time the issue is merely knowing how to translate the name of the paper you bought into the name used in the country for which the driver is intended.

*In both Windows 7 and Windows 10, they are in (using here C as the assumed boot volume) C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow