Pix for the Week Ending April 10th to 12th, 2020

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,700
Re: Found the problem, Steve!

furtle wrote:

So ETTR still rules OK especially with the low-sensitivity red layer in the Merrill sensors ...

Thanks, Ted ! I took a series of photos of the garden in bright light and noticed the red flowers were really susceptible to clipping highlights leaving whiteout patches. Reducing the EV to expose for the highlights solved that issue. Obvs it seems to mess with other areas of exposure. ETTR just blows the highlights on red and yellow petals.

Too much TTR, at a guess ...

For each exposure I bracket three shots at 0.3 EV difference ...

Maybe try 0.7 EV or even 1 EV next time?

... so, will go back and look at the other pics and see if any are better exposed.

Probably teaching Granny to suck eggs but do you look at the RGB channel histograms in the camera LCD after the shot? It would be especially beneficial if you could take a test shot where the entire flower fills the frame without worrying too much about focus. Then the amount of "rightness" in the red channel histogram (for a red flower) would be as meaningful as the brightness adjustment I made to your X3F in SPP.

-- hide signature --

Good luck,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow